- Successfully represented adidas America Inc. in arguing against certification of a class action suit alleging a defect in one of the company’s popular running shoes.
- Representing professional surfer Kelly Slater and his entities the Kelly Slater Wave Co., Outerknown, and Firewire Surfboards in IP and trademark matters.
- Assist Fantasy Sports, LLC in managing their growing IP portfolio.
- Defended a false advertising class action against a nationwide fitness organization.
- Settled a patent infringement case for Suicide Fantasy Sports against ESPN Inc.
- Advised athletic apparel and equipment manufacturers in matters relating to consumer product safety, false advertising, intellectual property litigation, and licensing and collaboration disputes.
- Represented a sports apparel company in a merger with another sports lifestyle brand.
- Represented a major sports agency in the international debt refinancing and acquisition of professional football, baseball, and basketball practices.
- Represented boxing promoters in negotiating promotional, match, television production, and licensing agreements and in securing required approvals from sanctioning bodies and state commissioners.
- Served as lead counsel for a golf club manufacturer in multiple patent infringement suits, alleging infringement of club design and utility patents. Successfully halted numerous infringing products from sale or import in the United States.
- Represented an internet gaming company in an action for breach of contract against a software developer that demanded equity interest in our client.
- Negotiated a sponsorship contract with professional surfer Craig Anderson on behalf of Haydenshapes Surfboards.
- Represented Life Time, Inc., a chain of luxury athletic resort health clubs, in a class action alleging violations of ADA. A motion to dismiss was filed based on lack of subject matter jurisdiction on that grounds that plaintiff lacks standing or his claims are moot because defendant’s website is already in substantial compliance with the ADA.
- Represented Life Time, Inc., a chain of luxury athletic resort health clubs, in a class action alleging violations of ADA. Succeeded in having plaintiff withdraw the case (voluntary dismissal with prejudice) based on website’s established compliance with the WCAG 2.0 accessibility standard.
- Represented Leisure Properties, LLC d/b/a Crownline Boats, a company which designs and produces boats, in a class action alleging ADA violations. Achieved extremely favorable settlement in class action where blind plaintiff claimed defendant’s website was inaccessible based on lack of JAWS screen reader compatibility.
- Represented 24 Hour Fitness in a TCPA class action matter in CA. Matter was resolved quickly and efficiently via favorable settlement agreement.
Mintz represented fantasy sports figures in the DraftKings / FanDuel federal and multistate regulatory controversy concerning the legality of fantasy sports and alleged misuse of insider information and unfair or deceptive practices. No charges were brought against the Mintz clients.
Mintz represented Kelly Slater Wave Co. when the wave pool company was acquired by World Surf League Holdings. Corporate attorneys lead the deal, assisted by attorneys in the patent and trademark, Antitrust, and Tax practices. Mintz currently represents Kelly Slater on all of its IP matters.
Mintz successfully argued against certification of a federal class action suit against adidas America involving the company’s Springblade running shoes. The judge agreed that adidas did not knowingly conceal information from consumers.
Mintz obtained partial summary judgment on First Amendment grounds for global fitness and training company CrossFit, Inc. CrossFit brought Lanham Act false advertising claims based on a study published by the National Strength and Conditioning Association that contained false CrossFit injury data.