Date: June 4, 2020
Time: 3:00PM - 5:30PM
Marc Abrams will be co-hosting the ARIAS-U.S. 2020 Virtual Spring Seminar, taking place on Thursday, June 4th from 3:00pm EST- 5:30pm EST. The agenda includes two courses followed by a small group networking session co-sponsored by the Education and Member Services Committees. The full agenda is as follows:
1) Emerging Trends and Potential Disputes in Life Reinsurance
- Faculty: Mark Gurevitz, MG Re Arbitrator and Mediator Services LLC
Gregg Hirsch, Mound Cotton Wollan & Greengrass LLP
Brett Wiggins, Munich American Reassurance Company
Amy Woltman, The Prudential Life Insurance Company of America
- Description: This panel will explain a transaction designed to effectuate the transfer and statutory novation of policies from a ceding insurer to an assuming insurer without the need for policyholder consent. The transaction represents the first approval of an insurance business transfer (IBT) of its kind by an insurance commissioner in the United States, following a process similar to Part VII business transfers in the United Kingdom. In addition to our discussion of the groundbreaking Oklahoma transaction, the panel will also consider the recently imposed COVID regulations/mandates applicable to life companies, the impact on insurers and policyholders, and potential areas of dispute that are likely to emerge.
2) COVID-19: The Reinsurance Response
- Faculty: John O'Connor, Sompo International
Andy Pinkes, Insurtech Advisor
David Attisani, Choate Hall & Stewart LLP
- Description: This panel will address the burgeoning complex claims and reinsurance coverage issues attending the coronavirus pandemic. Among other topics addressed, the panel will discuss the application of reinsuring clauses, “event”/”occurrence” wordings, hours clauses, pollution and other exclusions, ex gratia provisions, and follow the fortunes/settlements.
3) Networking Groups
- Join us for 45 minutes of virtual networking following the sessions!