Alain’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including contract disputes, business litigation, and government investigations, as well as institutional class action recovery and product liability. He is an active member of the firm’s Sports & Entertainment practice, where he counsels clients in personal business, branding and licensing, league compliance, investigations, and litigation. He is also an active member of the firm’s Institutional Class Action Recovery Practice, where he advises institutional investors with respect to the monitoring and evaluation of both foreign and domestic securities class actions. In addition, Alain is a key member of the firm’s interdisciplinary working group focused on the legal and policy implications of emerging artificial intelligence (AI) and robotics technologies. Alain represents clients across numerous industries including sports & entertainment, financial services, retail and consumer products, healthcare and technology and software. In addition, Alain maintains an active pro bono practice, in which he counsels and represents clients in matters related to domestic and sexual violence, immigration, and civil appeals.
Alain currently serves on the Board of Trustees for Crossroads, a youth empowerment organization focused on unlocking the potential of youth leaders in underserved communities by developing their leadership skills, college and career readiness, commitment to community action, and social responsibility. He also serves on the Board of Directors at The Wily Network, a non-profit designed to support students who are experiencing life challenges such as homelessness or foster care, as they work their way through college to graduation and beyond. Previously, he served on the Action for Boston Community Development (ABCD) Friends Committee from 2017 to 2019.
Alain also serves on the Advisory Committee formed by Mintz’s Managing Member to address issues related to the recruitment and retention of Black attorneys. He also serves on Mintz’s Litigation hiring committee. In addition, he currently serves on the Boston Bar Association’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Steering Committee, and is a co-chair of its Legal Careers Subcommittee. He previously served as the Boston Chair of Mintz’s minority attorney affinity group (MIATTY), sat on the group’s steering committee, and chaired the group’s Subcommittee on Diversity Recruiting from 2017 to 2020.
During law school, Alain served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Gregory C. Flynn of the Waltham District Court and the District Court Appellate Division. In addition, he was a teaching assistant for a first-year criminal law course, and a summer law clerk at Free Speech For People, a legal advocacy organization dedicated to campaign finance reform. During his final year of law school, he became certified as a mediator in accordance with Massachusetts state law and Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts requirements.
Before he attended law school, Alain served as the alumni fund associate in the office of annual giving at his alma mater, Bowdoin College. He also served as a legislative intern for US Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY).
- Boston College (JD, cum laude)
- Bowdoin College (BA, cum laude)
- Alongside co-chair of firm’s Sports and Entertainment Practice, has represented multiple high-profile American athletes in successfully resolving pre-litigation disputes.
- Represented NHL senior team executive in securing favorable outcome in a league investigation.
- Represented NHL senior team executive in dispute with former Club.
- Represented NBA basketball team in investigating and resolving claims of racial discrimination.
- Counseling emerging amateur sports league in matters related to player contracts, league regulations, and licensing and sponsorship.
- Represented NBA player agent and manager in business dispute against former agency.
- Counsels professional American athletes in connection with personal branding and licensing.
- Counsels and represents sports-related non-profit organization in matters related to incorporation and annual reporting and contracts with third party vendors and service providers.
- Representing critically-acclaimed video-editing company in trademark dispute against major technology company.
- Representing pharmaceutical company in defending claims of trademark infringement.
- Representing pharmacy benefit manager (PBM) against claims by specialty pharmacy.
- Representing financial services company against two lawsuits by securities traders.
- Represented financial services company in successfully resolving putative consumer class action.
- Drafted successful dispositive motion on behalf of a Massachusetts-based pharmaceutical company in a multi-million dollar product liability dispute.
- Counseled major global technology company ahead of its rollout of an artificial intelligence-enabled consumer product.
- Served as lead junior associate on trial team that successfully secured a seven-figure award before the American Arbitration Association.
- Representing a Massachusetts-based company and its former board of directors in a litigation against a former shareholder and board member.
- Served as a key member of team that successfully represented a California-based biotechnology company in resolving a government investigation.
- Has successfully represented multiple victims of domestic violence at 209A restraining order extension hearings, including a pregnant victim who sought to prevent her abuser from being present at the birth of their child.
- Representing an asylum applicant seeking refuge pursuant to the Convention Against Torture.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards- Shortlist - Diversity & Inclusion Future Leader in North America (2021)
- The National Black Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 Black Lawyers Nationally (2021)
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce: Boston Future Leaders Program (2021)
- The National Black Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 Black Lawyers in Massachusetts (2019-2021)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Business Litigation (2020-2021)
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Standing Committee on Pro Bono Legal Services- Pro Bono Honor Roll (2020-2021)
- Board Member, The Wily Network (2021 - present)
- Committee Member, Boston Bar Association Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Steering Committee (2020 - present)
- Co-Chair, Legal Careers Subcommittee of the Boston Bar Association Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Steering Committee (2020 - present)
- Committee Member, Boston Bar Association Business and Commercial Litigation Steering Committee (2020 - present)
- Board Member, Crossroads Massachusetts (2019 - present)
- Bowdoin Regional Admissions Volunteer Organization Member, Bowdoin College Admissions Office (2014 – present)
- Alumni Fund Class Agent, Bowdoin College Office of Annual Giving (2012 – present)
- Friends Committee Member, Action for Boston Community Development (ABCD) (2017 – 2019)
- Creole (Haitian)