Ken is an intellectual property attorney who is highly regarded for his patent prosecution and counseling work for life sciences, chemical, and energy technology companies. He helps companies and research institutions secure patents on strategic innovations and manage patent portfolios. He has extensive experience in patenting a wide range of bioscience and chemical technologies involving antibody therapeutics, small molecule modulators, diagnostics, pharmaceutical formulations, stem cell therapies, nanotechnologies, and oil recovery technologies, among others. He also conducts due diligence reviews of patent assets for lenders and investors, including patent validity and freedom-to-operate analyses.
Ken’s practice focuses on patent counseling, primarily in the life sciences, chemical and energy technology industries.
Ken works with innovative companies and research institutions to develop patent claiming and filing strategies, procure patents on cornerstone technologies, and strategically manage patent portfolios to maximize investments. He also counsels lenders and investors in assessing the value of patent assets through due diligence reviews, including validity analyses, freedom-to-operate analyses, and in-licensed technology investigations.
Ken has extensive patent procurement experience in disruptive bioscience and chemical technologies, such as diagnostics, immuno-oncotherapies, small molecule therapeutics, stem cell therapies, CRISPR and CRISPR-related technologies, antibody therapeutics, green industrial chemical production, enhanced oil recovery, fracking, interfering RNA technologies, nutraceuticals, proteomics, pharmaceutical formulations, and nanotechnologies.
- University of California - Hastings College of the Law (JD)
- University of Colorado (PhD, Chemistry and Biochemistry)
- University of Texas (BS, Biochemistry)
Recognition & Awards
- Recognized in Chambers USA: California – Intellectual Property: Patent Prosecution (2022)
- San Diego Business Journal, Leaders in Law Award Finalist (2021)
- IAM Patent 1000 World's Leading Patent Practitioners (2016 – 2017, 2019 – 2021)
- Managing Intellectual Property: Patent star - California (2016 – 2021)
- Chambers USA: California – Intellectual Property: Patent Prosecution (2016 – 2017, 2021)
- Best Lawyers in America: "Lawyer of the Year" for Patent Law (2021)
- Best Lawyers in America: Patent Law (2017-2023)
- San Diego Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property Law (2019 – 2021) / Southern California Super Lawyers Intellectual Property Law (2013-2017)
- Recommended by The Legal 500 United States for Healthcare: Life Sciences (2020)
- Daily Journal Top IP Lawyers (2020)
- San Diego Business Journal: "Best of the Bar" (2014 - 2015)
- San Diego Daily Transcript: “Transcript 10” attorney, Top Attorneys (2012)
- San Diego Daily Transcript:“Best Young Attorney” (2008)
- Young Investigator Award, Royal Society of Chemistry
- Member, American Chemical Society
- Past president, San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, US Bar Liaison Council, State Intellectual Property Office of China
- Member, BIOCOM Intellectual Property Committee