Larry, Co-Chair of the Mintz International Practice, is a seasoned corporate attorney and business advisor with a multifaceted global practice that focuses on representing vibrant, high-growth businesses and the venture capital, private equity, and other investors in those companies. He has extensive experience working on M&A, cross-border, venture capital, and private equity transactions.
Larry serves as a trusted advisor to emerging and high-growth businesses through all stages of the life cycle, from formation, through various rounds of financings, and on through the eventual exit. These companies operate in a broad range of industry verticals, including technology, financial services, life sciences, digital & social media, and energy & sustainability.
In his work for private equity and venture capital funds, Larry routinely counsels investors on their various business needs, including acquisitions, dispositions, recapitalizations, and minority and growth equity investments. This work also includes guiding investment firms on their own formation and capital raise projects.
Larry has uniquely extensive experience working on cross-border matters, as a key portion of his practice entails advising non-US clients in connection with their US activities. In this capacity, he has served as an adviser and resource to dynamic companies, institutional investors, sovereign wealth funds, and government agencies located outside the United States. He guides these clients on a wide range of their US legal needs, including structuring US expansions, capital raises, M&A deals, strategic partnerships, and other projects. He also supports overseas businesses and organizations by providing internal training, presenting at conferences, and developing educational content. This experience and his related relationships enable him to serve as a first port of call for clients as they enter, and grow, their business in the United States.
Prior to joining Mintz, Larry was a partner in the Business & Technology Practice of a Boston-based law firm and was formerly co-chair of that practice and a member of the firm’s executive committee. Earlier, he was an associate at another Boston-based law firm. After law school, Larry served as a clerk to late Honorable Jonathan Steinberg of the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
In law school, he was a notes & comments editor of the Boston College Law Review.
- Boston College (JD, magna cum laude)
- College of the Holy Cross (BA)
- Represented a robotics developer in its sale to a NASDAQ-listed company, a transaction that was named “Cross Border Healthcare/Life Sciences Deal of the Year” by The M&A Advisor.
- Represented a management team in conducting a buyout from a leading private equity fund.
- Represented various venture capital firms in numerous financings of life sciences and technology companies.
- Represented a European technology company in its sale to a Fortune 500 company.
- Represented a wealth management firm in its acquisition of a leading competitor.
- Represented a venture capital firm in its formation of successive investment partnerships.
- Represented a founder-owned digital asset management company in its sale to a multinational private equity firm.
- Represented a cybersecurity company in its equity financing.
- Represented a digital media company in its formation and through multiple rounds of financings to fund operations in China.
- Represented an e-commerce analytics company from formation through eventual sale to a global technology company.
- Represented a European-based software company in its acquisition of technology from Microsoft IP Ventures.
- Advised a UK-based private-equity backed company in its acquisition of a US company to launch its US operations.
- Represented a provider of cloud-based warehouse management solutions in its sale to a Fortune 500 company.
- Represented a French-based consulting firm in its acquisition of US-based consulting firm.
- Represented a food manufacturer listed on the London Stock Exchange in connection with various acquisition activities in the United States.
- Represented a European-based FinTech company in its US activities, including acquisition and strategic investment transactions.
- Represented a venture capital–backed developer of life sciences compliance software solutions in its sale to a NASDAQ-listed company.
- Represented an online marketplace in formation and multiple rounds of equity financings.
- Represented a European-based developer of CRO applications in multiple acquisitions of US-based companies.
Recognition & Awards
- Chambers USA: Start Ups and Emerging Companies (2020 – 2022)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts – Private Equity: Venture Capital Investment (2021 – 2022)
- Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Law (2015 – 2023); Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law (2023); Venture Capital Law (2023)
- Recommended by The Legal 500 United States: Venture Capital (2013–2014; 2021); M&A: Middle-Market (2021)
- Recommended by The Legal 500 United States: Venture Capital (2007)
- Included on the Irish America magazine "Top Legal 100” list of the most influential Irish-Americans in the legal field
- Chambers USA: Corporate / M&A (2012–2016)
- Chambers USA: Corporate / M&A (2009–2010)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list: International (2019)
- Named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars list (2016–2017)
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Co-founder, Holy Cross Emerging Technologies Group
- Founding Director and Board of Ambassadors, Irish Network Boston
- Board of Directors, Boston Irish Business Association