Poonam counsels governments, quasi-public authorities, and higher education facilities on the issuance of tax-exempt and taxable debt as well as securities and tax law matters. She also represents institutional investors and indenture trustees in the purchase and restructuring of high-yield municipal debt. Poonam has a background in finance and focuses on developing innovative, cost-effective solutions that help clients achieve their strategic goals.
Poonam is a Member in Mintz’s Public Finance Practice and Chair of the firm’s Alumni Program.
Poonam counsels governments, quasi-public authorities and higher education facilities on the issuance of tax-exempt and taxable debt as well as securities and tax law matters. She brings experience in a wide array of industries, including transportation, higher education, health care, economic development, project finance, stadium financing, water, and wastewater.
Poonam also represents institutional investors and indenture trustees with respect to the purchase and restructuring/workout of high yield municipal debt for energy, infrastructure, health care, higher education, charter schools, and senior living facilities. She has extensive experience on all sides of municipal transactions and brings a holistic perspective to her work on complex matters. This 360-degree insight — along with a background in finance — enables Poonam to deliver creative and thoughtful counsel to clients including financial advisors, credit analysts, and portfolio managers and to structure cost-effective transactions that protect their investments while achieving their strategic goals.
In her position as Chair of the Mintz Alumni Program, Poonam launches and manages initiatives that provide her former colleagues and current Mintz attorneys with access to innovative professional development programs, social events, continuing legal education, webinars, and a robust professional network.
- American University (JD)
- American University (BS, BA)
Recognition & Awards
- The Bond Buyer: Rising Stars Award (2016)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts (Band 3) – Banking & Finance: Public Finance (2019 – 2021)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts (Band 4) – Banking & Finance: Public Finance (2018)
- Chambers USA: Massachusetts (Up and Coming Star Associate) – Banking & Finance: Public Finance (2014 – 2017)
- Included on the Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Stars – Government Finance list (2009 – 2012, 2017, 2019 – 2021)
- 2020 Turnaround Management Association's Non-Profit Turnaround Award
- Best Lawyers in America: Public Finance Law (2021 – 2022)
- Secretary & Board Member, Boston Women in Public Finance
- Board of Governors, National Federation of Municipal Analysts
- Board Member, Asian Task Force Against Domestic Violence
- Board of Trustees, Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers