Bill has a business-savvy, product-driven approach to patent prosecution. He provides clients with strategic advice on patent portfolio development, conducts due diligence reviews of targeted companies and technology, and handles comparative evaluations of competitive patented technologies. Bill also procures global patent protection for pharmaceutical inventions. His experience includes serving as in-house patent counselor for a life sciences company and working as a senior research scientist for two global chemical companies. Prior to pursing his law degree, Bill earned a PhD in organic chemistry from UC Berkeley.
Bill's practice focuses on patent prosecution, with a particular emphasis on pharmaceutical products and targets as well as other small molecules, including dyes, probes, and binding agents. He leverages experience in the corporate setting to provide clients with a business-based, product-driven approach to all of his IP legal services, including the strategic development of patent portfolios, due diligence reviews of targeted companies and technology, and comparative evaluations of competitive patented technologies. Bill also procures global patent protection for pharmaceutical inventions and focuses on product protection strategies involving formulations, drug delivery technologies, and dosing methods.
Prior to joining the IP team at Mintz, Bill was a partner in the Bay Area office of a large, international law firm. He also served as in-house patent counsel for Tularik Inc. (now part of Amgen, Inc.), a company involved in the discovery of compounds for the regulation of gene expression.
Earlier, Bill worked as a senior research scientist and project leader for FMC Corporation and Dow Chemical Company/DowElanco, where his research involved the design and synthesis of small molecule regulators of biological processes. Bill's doctoral thesis, conducted under the direction of Professor Paul A. Bartlett at UC Berkeley, concerned the design and synthesis of transition-state analogs as inhibitors of peptidases.
- Golden Gate University (JD, with honors)
- University of California - Berkeley (PhD, Organic Chemistry)
- Humboldt State University (BS, Chemistry)
Recognition & Awards
- Recognized in Chambers USA: California – Intellectual Property: Patent Prosecution (2021)
- IAM Patent 1000 World's Leading Patent Practitioners (2013 - 2017, 2019 - 2020)
- Included on the Northern California Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property list (2013, 2014)
- Chairman, AIPLA Chemical Practice Committee (2011 - 2013)
- Vice-chair, AIPLA Chemical Practice Committee (2009 - 2011)