Alyssa focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation, financial services litigation, and white collar and government investigations, and class actions for clients across industries including financial services, technology, and insurance. She has expertise in the international trade and anti-money laundering space, particularly in assisting with the drafting and implementation of internal policies for clients looking to mitigate risk. She has experience in researching and drafting motions, discovery responses, and filings for federal and Massachusetts state court cases, as well as taking depositions, arguing motions and managing witnesses at trial. Alyssa has also worked on matters involving the Massachusetts consumer protection law, M.G.L. c. 93A, state and federal unfair competition laws, and antitrust laws. She has experience defending clients in mortgage and consumer banking cases, as well as in bankruptcy and related adversary proceedings.
She maintains an active pro bono practice providing legal representation to survivors of human trafficking in criminal matters and post-conviction relief proceedings, victims of domestic abuse and asylum seekers. She has given trainings and presentations on obtaining relief for survivors of human trafficking.
Prior to joining Mintz, Alyssa was an associate in the Boston office of an international law firm, where she handled litigation for a variety of clients, including a territorial instrumentality debtor. Earlier, she was an associate and summer associate in the Washington, DC office of a New York-based global law firm, where she advised clients on antitrust matters, white collar matters, and government and internal investigations. At each of those firms, she served as a mentor to summer associates and represented asylum seekers and other pro bono clients.
During law school, Alyssa served as an intern in the US Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division’s Office of Special Counsel for Immigration Related Unfair Employment Practices. She was also an intern in the Women’s Refugee Commission’s Washington, DC office and a law and policy intern at the Poverty & Race Research Action Council. In law school, she was the reactions editor for the Georgetown Journal of Law and Modern Critical Race Perspectives and served as a peer advisor and executive member of the Women’s Legal Alliance.
Before law school, Alyssa had an internship with a Massachusetts workers’ compensation law firm.
- Successfully defended Citizens Bank against putative class allegations of aiding and abetting fraud and breach of fiduciary in connection with a $100 million Ponzi scheme. The Western District of NY dismissed the complaint, with prejudice. The dismissal was upheld by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a hedge fund in a case where a former employee claimed an ownership stake in the fund which our client contended was obtained through a breach of fiduciary duty. The case involved novel issues of law on fiduciary duty and wiretap law.
- Represented a large financial services client in multiple disputes that have settled or been favorably resolved.
October 21, 2022 | Blog | By Pete Michaels, Alyssa C. Scruggs, Taylor Carter
June 21, 2022 | Blog | By Pete Michaels, Michael Pastore, Alyssa C. Scruggs
April 5, 2022 | Blog | By Pete Michaels, Alyssa C. Scruggs
June 4, 2021 | Blog | By Pete Michaels, Alyssa C. Scruggs
March 22, 2021 | Blog | By Alyssa C. Scruggs
November 30, 2020 | Blog | By Pete Michaels, Alyssa C. Scruggs
October 26, 2020 | Blog | By Pete Michaels, Alyssa C. Scruggs
October 22, 2020 | Blog | By Pete Michaels, Alyssa C. Scruggs
February 12, 2020 | Alert | By Cory S. Flashner, Steve Ganis, Robert Kidwell, Alyssa C. Scruggs
News & Press
November 22, 2022
The Rise of Shareholder Activism and Litigation Related to Environmental, Social, and Governance Investing
April 14, 2021
July 15, 2020
Events & Speaking
Boston Bar Association
Recognition & Awards
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Rising Star - Civil Litigation: Defense (2018-2020, 2022)
- Boston Magazine Top Lawyers – Commercial Litigation (2022)
- Member, Boston Bar Association (2017 – present)
- Member, American Bar Association (2015 – present)
- Board of Directors, Alumni Association, College of William & Mary (2013 – 2016)
- Chair, Young Guarde Council, College of William & Mary (2013 – 2016)
- Former Member, Campaign Steering Committee, For the Bold, The Campaign for William & Mary (2015 – 2020)
- Former Mentor, Public Interest Fellows Program, Georgetown University Law Center (2013 – 2019)